Required Federal Work-Study Forms

The following required forms must be completed after the student has been hired into a position and submitted to the Federal Work-Study office at 208 Kent Hall  before a student may start working.

These forms must also be submitted again if the student has not been paid by Columbia University in the last three years, or if the student wishes to make any changes to previously filed information.


Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9)

Students who are in New York City and need to have Section 2 of the I-9 form completed at 208 Kent Hall may schedule an appointment online.  

Please follow the instructions below:

  1. Complete Section 1 using the New I-9 portal.
  2. After Section 1 is complete, select a Calendly appointment time to complete Section 2 in-person with the Office of Federal Work-Study

Once you complete section one, a list of acceptable documents to establish identity and work eligibility will be provided.  

The required tax forms listed below (W-4 and one of the state tax forms) and the NYS Paid Family Leave forms must be completed and submitted to the Federal Work-Study Office located at 208 Kent Hall. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 9AM-12PM and 1PM-5PM.  

Federal Withholding Certificate (W-4)

Work-Study earnings are taxable income. This Federal Withholding Certificate form authorizes the withholding of federal taxes. Students please bring your printed W-4 to 208 Kent Hall to submit. 

Please complete one of the forms below that applies to you. 

Students might find it helpful to consult with their parents and/or a tax advisor before completing the withholding forms.

New York State Paid Family Leave (PFL)

New York State’s Paid Family Leave Law (PFL) went into effect on January 1, 2018. PFL provides family leave benefits to eligible employees through a small employee payroll deduction. Please read the full announcement and details for waiving the benefit below.

Students please return all New York State Forms, including New York State Paid Family Leave, to 208 Kent Hall. 

Please note that students from outside of New York State are not considered in-state students unless they establish permanent residency first before attending school. Out-of-state students should never fill out New York State forms. New York State forms are for students who were New York State residents prior to attending Columbia.

If you worked through the Federal Work-Study Program last year or within the last three years without a break in employment:

  • The only form you need to complete is the New York State Labor Law 195 form, which is available from your employer if you are working on campus and from the Federal Work-Study Office if working off-campus.

  • Continuing students who worked last year will have the same tax status from the previous year.

    • If you would like to change your previous tax status, please complete a new W-4 via MyColumbia. Click on Login Now and then enter your UNI and password. Under Self-Service, click on View Your Tax Information and make the desired changes.

    • To change information on a State/City tax form, complete a new State/City tax form.