Additional Scholarship and Funding Options

The following list includes private, state, branch of service, and additional federal resources that may be useful to veterans and family members of veterans pursuing higher education funding opportunities.


Private/Non-Profit Support

IAVA Database provides a list of scholarships for military personnel, veterans, and dependents.

The Pat Tillman Scholarship Foundation provides military scholarship support for the upcoming fall and spring academic year to veterans, active servicemembers, and their spouses pursuing full-time enrollment toward an academic degree. Child dependents are not eligible. Funds cannot be retroactively used for a previous academic year. However, the scholarship may be renewed for subsequent academic years provided the student meets renewal standards.

Visit the Eligibility & Requirements page of the Pat Tillman Scholarship Foundation website to find additional guidelines for eligibility, application requirements, and information about renewal. There is also an FAQ with answers to more specific questions some prospective applicants might have. 

Join the mailing list to be notified when the Tillman Scholar entrance period opens. The application deadline is generally at the end of February with the new class of Tillman Scholars announced in June. 

The National Military Family Association Military Spouse Scholarship Program offers scholarships awarded to spouses of uniformed servicemembers (active duty, National Guard and Reserve, retirees, and survivors) to obtain professional certification or to attend post-secondary or graduate school.

Scholarships range in amounts from $500 to $1,000; the number awarded each year varies depending on funding.

Veterans United Foundation Scholarships are offered twice a year in May and November for service members with disabilities or the spouses and dependents of deceased veterans whose deaths were service-related

The VFW has partnered with Student Veterans of America and Sport Clips Haircuts to provide up to $5000 for retired, honorably discharged, active duty, or National Guard or Reserves service members who are U.S. citizens to apply toward Columbia. Visit the VFW website to learn about eligibility and how to apply.

The American Legions offers a variety of scholarship opportunities American Legion participants, athletes, veterans and their descendants, Eagle Scouts and more. To learn more about the types of scholarships available and who is eligible to apply, visit the American Legion website.

AMVETS offers a variety of scholarship opportunities to veterans and service members, including Reserves and National Guard. There are opportunities for the spouses, children, and grandchildren of veterans and service members as well. Learn more about available scholarships and eligibility to apply at the AMVETS website.

PVA offers scholarships to members, their spouses, and their children under 24 years of age. Visit the PVA website to learn about eligibility and how to apply.

Branch of Service Support

Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation provides scholarship opportunities for children of current and former Marines.

Army Education Relief Fund provides scholarship opportunities for children and spouses of retired and active Army soldiers.

The Department of Defense (DoD) Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance to eligible active duty service members for educational programs in support of professional and personal self-development goals. The TA program will fund up to $250 per credit not to exceed $4,500 per fiscal year, October 1 through September 30.  

For more information on per point tuition rates, please click here.

Additional Federal Support

Federal Pell Grants are available to undergraduate students who demonstrate exceptional financial need. Grant money, unlike a loan, does not need to be paid back.

You will only be evaluated for this award when you fill out the FAFSA

If you are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant based on your EFC, you may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant if your parent or guardian died as a result of U.S. military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11. The maximum amount of the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant is the same as the maximum Pell Grant award.

To be eligible, you must have been less than 24 years old or enrolled at least part-time at a college at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death. Payments will be adjusted if you are enrolled less than full-time.

You will only be evaluated for this award when you fill out the FAFSA


State Support