Completing the FAFSA
Students applying for or receiving financial aid must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for every year they expect to receive federal aid.
Contact your school for preferred deadline dates.
- A FAFSA can be completed online at the Federal Student Aid website.
- To complete your FAFSA, you will need Columbia University's School Code: 002707
- To request a paper copy, call the U.S. Department of Education at 800-4FED-AID.
If you opt out or are ineligible, you may need to submit to the University a federal tax return transcript. There are three methods for obtaining a federal tax return transcript:
- Online request with the IRS
- On the main page under Tools, Click “Order a Tax Return or Account Transcript”
- Click “Tax Return Transcript” in Section 1
- Click “Order a Transcript”
- Provide the tax filer’s SSN, DOB, Street Address, and Zip Code (these must exactly match the data provided on your tax return).
- Click “Continue”
- In the “Type of Transcript” field, select “Return Transcript” and appropriate year requested in the “Tax Year” field.
- If successfully linked, tax filers can expect a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript to be mailed to the specified address within 5‐10 days.
- Telephone request
- Automated attendant – 1‐800‐908‐9946
- Live person – 1‐800‐829‐1040 – (Hold times vary and can be significant.) You may be able to request that the transcript be faxed to you rather than be mailed.
- Paper Request – IRS Form 4506T – must be used if you have moved since filing your taxes