AmeriCorps, also known as the Corporation for National and Community Service, provides education grants to volunteers in national and local nonprofits, schools, government agencies, faith-based and community organizations, and other groups.
Students are able to apply these grants (in the form of AmeriCorps Education Awards) toward their semester charges. To help you apply for your AmeriCorps funding, we have prepared a step-by-step guide below.
Guide to Requesting Your Award
1. Go to the AmeriCorps My Education Award Base Page.
2. Click on “My Education Award” on the menu on the left side
3. Click on "Create Education Award Payment Request" on the menu on the left side; it brings you to this screen:
Image of Create Education Award Payment Request
4. Enter your personal information.
5. Click on "Search for Institutions" next to "Institution Information" in the middle of the page. The screen below will open.
Image of AmeriCorps Search Institutions Page
6. Type in "Columbia" next to "Name" for the search as shown above. The following search results will appear:
7. If you are an undergraduate in Columbia College or the School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS), please choose "Columbia University (Office of Financial Aid)". For all other schools, including Columbia University Medica Center, please choose "Columbia University - Morningside Campus (Student Service Center)".
For faster processing, redeem your award online.
We will begin processing AmeriCorps Awards after the Change of Program period every semester. Awards greater than $1,500.00 will be made in two parts:
- The first half of the payment will be paid at the beginning of the semester.
- The second half of the payment will be paid during the midpoint of the semester.