Stipends and Tax Reporting

On This Page:

Stipends and Tax Reporting  |  IRS Form 1098-T  |  Canadian Tuition Receipt


Please note: Beyond the information offered on this site, University staff cannot assist you in tax matters. If you need assistance completing your taxes, you should consult with a qualified tax specialist or a CPA firm.


Stipends and Tax Reporting

A scholarship/fellowship payment received by a candidate for a degree is generally not taxable income to the student if it is used for "qualified expenses." Qualified expenses are defined by the IRS and include tuition and required fees, and/or expenses for books, supplies and equipment required of all students in the course. These payments do not need to be reported to the IRS by the student or the University.

A scholarship/fellowship used for expenses other than qualified expenses is taxable income. Taxable scholarships are generally referred to as stipends, and are payments for which no services are rendered or required. Examples of stipends are payments that can be used for living and incidental expenses such as room and board, travel, non-required books and personal computers, etc.

Stipends are considered taxable income to students. However, based on IRS rules, the University does not withhold tax on stipends for domestic students or provide students with tax Form 1099. Students are responsible for reporting taxable stipend payments along with any other payments they receive, and for remitting any tax due with their personal income tax return.  (Foreign students who are non-resident aliens will receive a Form 1042-S reporting taxable stipends. U.S. withholding tax may apply.)

Students should maintain a record of the stipend payments they have received during the calendar year (January 1 to December 31), remembering to include payments they received by check via Accounts Payable. The total annual payments received can also be obtained from the departmental award letter(s).  However, since these award letters are generally based on academic year as opposed to calendar, you may need to reference the award letters for multiple academic years to ascertain the total calendar year amount.

To Top


1098-T Education and Tax Credit Information

The federal government provides two types of tax credits for educational expenses paid by students during the tax year. However, not all expenses students pay to the University are considered qualified expenses by the IRS for these tax credits. In general, tuition and fees that are directly related to attendance and education are allowable. Room and board, books, insurance, and other personal expenses are generally not allowed. You should review the IRS Publication 970 for more information, or you may consult your tax professional.

Please note: University staff cannot assist you in tax matters. If you need assistance completing your taxes, you should consult with a qualified tax specialist or a CPA firm.

Form 1098-T, issued by the University, is the form you need to determine whether you are eligible for the tax credits. For additional questions, email


Changes for 2018 1098-T Form 

  • 1098-T Form FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
  • Q: What is the IRS Form 1098-T?

    A: The 1098-T Tax form is a tuition statement provided by higher education institutions to all eligible students that pay tuition fees (including non-resident tuition) during the calendar year.

    More information regarding the 1098-T form can be found here.


    Q: When will I receive my Form 1098-T?

    A: If Columbia University has a social security number listed on your student record as it appears in Student Services Online (SSOL), the 1098-T form will be mailed to you prior to January 31.


    Q: To what address is my 1098-T mailed?

    A: Your 1098-T form is mailed to the permanent address listed on your CU student record as it appears in Student Services Online (SSOL).


    Q: My social security number is incorrect on my 1098-T form. Can I have a new one sent to me?

    A: If the social security number (SSN) on your 1098-T is incorrect, you must submit a written request to the Registrar’s Office to change or correct your social security number.

    You may be required to provide a copy of your social security card or a complete W-9S form. After the student record is corrected, a new form will be mailed to you.


    Q: January 31 has passed and I have not received a 1098-T form. Why not?

    A 1098-T was not generated for you because Columbia University does not have a social security number on file for you.


    To update your student account record with your social security number please contact the Student Service Center.

    Once your information is updated please send an email to: to request a 1098-T be generated for you.


    Q: What am I supposed to do with Form 1098-T?

    A: Columbia University cannot provide tax advice. If you have any questions about the 1098-T and tax credit, eligibility, reporting your tax credit on your tax return, or any other tax-related matter, consider reading IRS Publication 970.pdf or contacting your tax consultant.

  • How Do I Access My 1098-T Form?
  • You may access your form on January 31, 2019.
    Please log in to Student Services Online (SSOL) and click "1098-T Tax Form" under the "Account” section to find detailed instructions for accessing your 2018 1098-T form.
    Visit Manage My UNI for more information about your UNI & Password.
  • Federal websites on educational tax credits include:

  • IRS Forms and Publications
  • U.S. Department of Education
  • IRS Tax Information for Students
  • Tax Benefits for Education (IRS Publication 970)

To Top


Canadian Tuition Receipt

Canadian Tuition Receipt (TL-11A) This form is used to certify eligibility for the tuition, education, and textbook amounts of a student attending a university outside Canada and to show the maximum tuition, education, and textbook amounts a student can transfer to a designated individual. It is the Official Tuition Receipt and is calculated in U.S. funds. A Canadian tuition receipt (TL-11A) can be requested by contacting the Service Center at 212-854-4400.

Please provide the student's UNI or their 9-digit PID, the tax year requested, and the mailing address. Requests usually take up to 6 business days. Students can choose to pick them up in person  at 205 Kent Hall or have them mailed.

To Top