In order to be eligible for federal student aid the student must a U.S. citizen or national or one of the following eligible non-citizens:


• A U.S. permanent resident

• A citizen of one of the Freely Associated States (i.e. the Federated States of Micronesia and the republics of Palau and the Marshall Islands)

• A refugee

• Granted Asylum

• A parolee

• A Cuban-Haitian Entrant, status pending

• Qualified Rehabilitation

• A conditional entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980).


The student is not eligible for federal student aid if they:


• Warrant a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence I-171 or I-464

• Have an F1 or F2 visa

• Have a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa


Below is a list of acceptable documents for verifying the student’s citizenship.


• A copy of the student’s birth certificate showing that the student was born in the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swain’s Island, or the Northern Mariana Islands

• U.S. passport current or expired

• A certificate of citizenship from INS (N-560 or N-561) which has the certificate number and date of issue

• A certificate of naturalization from INS (N-550 or N-570) which must indicate date and certification number

• A copy of the following State Department documents:

• FS-240 Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the U.S.

• Qualified RehabilitationFS-545 Certificate of Birth-Foreign Service

• DS-1350 Certificate of Birth