Stipend Awards


New to billing and payments? Start with the basics.Photo courtesy of CU GSAS


Register to Receive Stipend Awards

To receive a stipend award payment via direct deposit or check, students must be registered for classes in the term for which the aid has been awarded.


During Fall and Spring TermsDuring Summer Term

• Students must be registered in the term for which the aid has been awarded.

• Students must submit all required documentation to their school's Financial Aid Office for the payment to be processed.

• Registration may not be required for the summer term if the student is enrolled in a school that does not have a summer term enrollment requirement.

Receiving Stipend Payments: Direct Deposit & Paper Checks

Stipend payments are awarded directly to the students, not used to offset student account balances. There are multiple ways to receive a stipend payment:


University’s preferred method, direct deposit:

o Direct deposit to a U.S. checking or savings account is the University's preferred method for issuing stipends to all students. This saves the time of picking up and processing a paper check, and makes the funds available much sooner. Learn how to enroll (

o In order for a stipend payment to be disbursed via direct deposit in a particular term, students must already be registered for that term when payment is initially processed.  Otherwise, the stipend will be processed as a paper check.


Picking up a paper check at the Payments and Deposits Office:

o Students can pick up stipend checks at the Payments and Deposits Office ( of Student Financial Services.

o Stipend checks may be pick up upon presentation of a valid University ID card.  Checks will not be released to a student who is not registered for that term if registration is required.


Designate someone else to pick up the payment:

o Email Payments and Deposits Office, with the name of the person whom you have designated to pick up your check. Be sure also to copy your designee. The designee must bring a picture ID to verify their identity when retrieving your check from Payments and Deposits Office.


Arrange for the payment to be mailed:

o Email Payments and Deposits Office, with the complete mailing address to which the check should be mailed via USPS. The Payments and Deposits Office will confirm the estimated time of arrival of the check.


Update home address in PAC:

Stipends for international students are processed through the University Payroll System.  During this time, when offices are physically closed, international student stipends without direct deposit information will be mailed to the recipient’s home address in PAC.   Follow the following stept to update your home address in PAC:

1) Log in to

2) Select View or Update your Personal Information on the Faculty and Staff page, and

3) Update your Home Address by clicking on it

Email Notification and Scheduling

Students will receive an email notification from Student Financial Services when a stipend payment is in process for you.


If you have direct deposit set up to receive stipends, the funds are normally in your bank account within three to five business days, following the date of receiving the email notification


Checks are normally available for pick-up in seven to nine business days, following the date of the email notification.


International students may experience a 10-15 business day timeline because their payments must be processed through University Payroll.

Stipends and Tax Reporting

Information about tax reporting may be found here (

Additional Questions

Contact Payments and Deposits Office


Morningside Location: 205 Kent Hall

Hours: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday – Friday

Phone: +1-212-854-1541


CUIMC Location: 1-141, 127 Black Building

Hours: 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday

Stipend Pick-up Hours: 1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m., Tuesday & Thursday

Phone: +1-212-305-1108


Email Address:


Mailing Address:

Student Financial Service

205 Kent Hall

1140 Amsterdam Avenue

New York, NY 10027

Attn: Payments & Deposits office


Contact Stipend & Payroll Hotline


Our help desk services have been enhanced to provide a single, dedicated resource for students with questions related to student payroll and stipend payments and have available a corresponding issue resolution process. Students can alert us to their question or issue by submitting an inquiry online or calling +1 (212) 854-5000.

For Administrators

Policy and Procedure for Student Payments

Stipends are one of several types of payments to students. To help schools and departments identify payment types and process transactions appropriately, administrators must ensure they are familiar with the policy and procedures related to payments to students.


Summer Stipends

Certain schools that award stipend funds during a term of non-enrollment, such as the summer terms, should also refer to and use the Summer Stipend Form. (Required excel spreadsheet).


To cancel a summer stipend, use the Summer Stipend Cancellation Form.


For additional information about completing the form, watch the Summer Stipend Video Tutorial.


Receiving Stipends After Previous Stipend Cancellation 

International students whose stipend get cancelled after receiving the funds (direct deposit in bank account or check cashed) need to pay back the net (after tax) amount received to the University Payroll Office following the overpayment recovery instruction sent out by the Payroll Office. No additional stipend can be issued until the overpayment recovery process for the previous stipend cancellation is completed.