Submitting Forms After the Hire and Before Start of Work
All required forms must be completed after the student has been hired into a position and must be submitted to the Work-Study office before a student may start working. These forms are required if the student has not been paid by Columbia University in the last 3 years, or if the student wishes to make any changes to previously-filed information.
This form is required to establish both identity and employment eligibility. Original documents, along with a Social Security Number, are required for verification.
- Complete section one of the I-9 form online here.
- Once you complete section one, a list of acceptable documents to establish identity and work eligibility will be provided. These documents must be presented to the FWS Office in order to complete the I-9 process.
Work-Study earnings are taxable income. This form authorizes the withholding of federal taxes.
New York State Forms
Please complete one (1) of the three (3) forms below. Explanations of who should fill out each form are available on the forms themselves.
- New York State/City Withholding Allowance Certificate (IT-2104, external PDF)
Students who are New York State residents must complete this form unless they qualify for an exemption.
- New York State/City Certificate of Exemption (IT-2104e, external PDF)
Students who are New York State residents must complete this form if they qualify for an exemption.
- Certificate of Non-New York State Residence (IT-2104.1, external PDF)
This form should be completed if the student is not a resident of New York State.
Students might find it helpful to consult with their parents and/or a tax advisor before completing the Withholding forms.
All required forms must be submitted to the Federal Work-Study Office after the student has been hired into a position and before a student may begin working.