On This Page:

About Interschool Fellowships  |  Applying  Process

Fellowships:  Ellis Fellowship  |  Hollingsworth Fellowship  |  Nichoplas Scholarship Fund  |  Poder Fund  |  Upton Scholarship


Scholarships may be awarded for academic or athletic ability, interest in a certain subject, or volunteer work. Some scholarships may be given based on membership in an ethnic or religious group. Companies may also award scholarships to you or your child. 


Start With Your School

Start your search for scholarships, fellowships and grants by contacting your school's financial aid office.


For information on Interschool Fellowships, continue reading below.

About Interschool Fellowships

"Institutional aid" refers to aid managed and awarded by Columbia University as a central entity or independently at each of the University schools. Although most institutional aid is managed and awarded independently at each school, there is also institutional aid that is managed centrally. That centrally managed aid comes in the form of interschool fellowships.

These fellowships are need-based awards that are not restricted to students in one Columbia school or college. The annual amounts of these awards are generally in the range of $1,000 to $5,000. These annual awards are released in two even disbursements, at the start of the fall term and at the start of the spring term.

To Top


Students interested in applying for any of the below fellowships must contact your School Financial Aid Office. Please submit all the necessary documents as required by each fellowship.

The submission deadline is usually June 1 of every year.

To Top


The Financial Aid Offices will submit the names of potential recipients to the Office of the Provost for review and possible awards. The Financial Aid Offices are notified of the recipients within two months of their submission and are responsible for the release of funds. Please contact the financial aid office with any questions you may have.


To Top



George W. Ellis Fellowship

The George W. Ellis Fellowship is available to graduate students who are residents of Vermont or who have graduated from an accredited Vermont college or university.

Required documentation:

  • Residents of Vermont should provide a copy of taxes, driver’s license, or voter registration documentation.
  • Graduates from a Vermont college should provide a copy of their academic transcript.

To Top

Leta Stetter Hollingsworth Fellowship

This fellowship is available to female graduate students at Columbia who have graduated, or are graduating, from the University of Nebraska.

Required Documentation:

  • A copy of the student’s transcript from the University of Nebraska

  • A letter of reference from a faculty member of the University of Nebraska

To Top

Paul Nichoplas Scholarship Fund

This scholarship is to benefit a male or female student in area of the University who has attended college or university in Greece. It is available to graduate or undergraduate students for two years.

Required Documentation:

  • An affidavit or transcript

To Top

Vladimir and Olga Poder Fund

This fellowship is to benefit Estonian-speaking students attending Columbia. The fellowship cannot be greater than $2,000 annually.

It is available to graduate or undergraduate students.

Required documentation: To verify that the student speaks Estonian, please submit a letter from the NY Estonian House located at 243 East 34th Street, New York NY 10016.

To Top


Clifford and Siegfried Upton Scholarship

This scholarship is intended to benefit the children, adopted children, and step-children of the employees of Boston-based Houghton-Mifflin Company, its subsidiaries, or successor companies. The minimum amount of a scholarship is $1,000 for a school year, and increased according to the needs of the candidate.

This fellowship is available to graduate or undergraduate students.

Required documentation: Letter from employer verifying eligibility

To Top