|On This Page:|
Stipends are one of several types of payments to students. To help schools and departments identify payment types and process transactions appropriately, administrators must ensure they are familiar with the policy and procedures in Payments to Students Policy, Procedures and their Taxability (PDF).
Certain schools that award stipend funds during a term of non-enrollment, such as the summer terms, should also refer to and use the Summer Stipend Form.
To cancel a summer stipend, use the Summer Stipend Cancellation Form
For additional information about completing the form, watch the Summer Stipend Video Tutorial.
Internal transfers: Used to allocate revenue and expenses from one valid chartstring to another and to execute fund transfers from one valid chartstring to another.
- Example: A department allocates funds to students for student account fee payments. An internal transfer journal entry will be used for the allocation. The department’s account is debited, and the Student Financial Services’ dedicated account is credited.
- Complete the Excel spreadsheet to include all applicable information.
- Save the Excel file for your records. It will be helpful if the files are saved in the following format DDMMYY_School.
- Complete the online ARC Journal Request Form (link) and then upload and submit the completed Excel spreadsheet. Sign and submit the form for processing. Note: Adjustments are posted to students’ accounts (SIS) within 7-10 business days during non-peak periods. Processing times during peak period may vary. Journal entry requests are processed weekly (usually on Tuesday and Thursday).
- After successful submission, it is recommended that departments check student accounts for confirmation of processed adjustments.
Financial Aid Office must review and confirm that the student is a financial aid recipient and has a record in the PowerFAIDS system. If not, the payment will be processed in Student Accounts via a batch post to the Student Information System (SIS) and a journal will be posted to the chartstring provided by the department.
Where do I obtain a student’s PID or UNI?
What is a chartstring?
What is a SIS fund code?
What is a stipend payment?
Can the summer stipend process be used to pay non-Columbia students?
What is an ARC Journal payment?
An ARC Journal Payment is an internal transfer used to allocate revenue and expenses from one valid chartstring to another and to execute fund transfers from one valid chartstring to another.
What happens if my chartstring is invalid?
If my chartstring is invalid the payment to the student account will not be processed until it has been resolved. This delays payment to the student account which could lead to holds and late fees. It is very important to validate your chartstrings and budget accounts.