For payments drawn on foreign banks, the University recommends a wire transfer as the most efficient method of payment.
Columbia University contracts with Flywire and Western Union to offer students two streamlined options for making payments to a Student Account by wire transfer. Both Flywire and Western Union offer a competitive rate of exchange and the convenience of being able to make payments in many international currencies through a local bank.
Below are instructions for making a payment using Flywire or Western Union.
Keep in Mind: A new set of wire instructions is required for each new wire payment. Please also note that wire instructions and the associated currency exchange rate expire after 72 hours.
Making a Payment via Flywire
- 1. Log into Columbia's Student Services Online to begin the payment process.
- 2. In the "Your Account" section, click on “Account Detail and E-Billing.” You will be taken to the "Accounts" page.
- 3. In the "E-Bill Information" section, click “View E-Bill and Pay by E-Check, Payment Plan or Wire.” You will be taken to the "View & Pay Accounts" page on Columbia's secure Quikpay site.
- 4. In the "Student Account Payment Details" box, click the gray “Make Payment” button. You will be taken to the "Enter Payment Amount" page.
- 5. Enter your payment amount and select "International Payments" as your payment method. Click the "Continue" button. You will be taken to the "International Wire Transfer" page.
- 6. Select "Flywire" as your payment vendor. Click the "Continue" button. You will be taken to the "Payment" page for Columbia students on the Flywire site.
- 7. From the drop-down menu, select the country you are paying from. The payment options available to you will open on the same page. (Flywire offers multiple forms of payment, depending on which country you are paying from.)
- 8. You will be prompted to create a new Flywire account or sign into an existing account. Enter your payment details, including contact, payment, student, and payer information. Click the "Continue with Payment" button and you will receive confirmation of your payment booking.
- 9. Depending on your payment method, you may receive further instructions on how to complete the payment process.
- 10. Track your payment from start to finish with your student dashboard. You can contact Flywire’s customer support team at any time using the information on Flywire's "Contact Us" page.
Making a Payment via Western Union
- 1. Open Student Services Online to begin the payment process.
- 2. Click on “Account Detail and E-Billing,” then on “View E-Bill and Pay by E-Check, Payment Plan or Wire Other Payment Options.”
- 3. Click "Make a Payment."
- 4. Enter the payment amount and select "Western Union-International Payment." Then click “Make Payment."
- 5. A conversion at a competitive rate of exchange from the U.S. dollar amount will be applied to your chosen currency through the Western Union real-time rate engine. You will have the opportunity to view the payable amount in your local currency before committing to the transaction.
- 6. Finalize the transaction by following the instructions on the web page.
- 7. Save a PDF copy of the wire instructions confirmation page and send it to your bank or print the confirmation page and take it to your local bank to initiate the transfer of funds to Western Union. Please note that the currency quote on the confirmation page is valid for 72 hours. Western Union must receive the request within 72 hours of your receipt of the currency quote.
- 8. Western Union will then forward the U.S. dollar amount to Columbia University where it will be credited to your student billing account.
Keep in Mind
- There is a limit of $70,000 per term that can be paid via this method.
- Columbia University does not charge any fees for these services. However, your bank may impose a service fee to initiate the wire transfer. Additionally, a processing fee will be charged for transactions that cannot be deposited through normal bank channels.
- If you are not enrolled in courses for the semester and you send a payment via wire transfer, those funds will be returned to their point of origin.