New Student Checklist


2017 - 2018 Academic Year


  • Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility and DD-214 to the Columbia Office of Military & Veterans Affairs (OMVA).
    In person to 202 Kent Hall
    Scan and email to
    Fax to (212) 854-2818

    If you don’t have this document, go to the website of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs,, and complete the VONAPP.  This will prompt the Department to mail you your certificate.
  • If you are entitled to receive Yellow Ribbon, apply at your school’s financial aid office.
  • If you are a transfer student, complete Veterans Affairs Form 22-1995 (Change of Location Form) on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website,
  • If you will be on Active Duty when you begin the term (even for one day, including terminal leave), notify our office by email at or call 212-854-3161.
  • If you intend to utilize Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment benefits (VR&E), notify our office by email at or call 212-854-3161.

    You are eligible to apply if you have a disability rating of 20% or greater. Learn more at the Veterans Benefits Administration.
  • Complete our Request for Certification. You will need to complete this form every term you want to utilize your benefits at Columbia.
  • Watch Columbia's short orientation video, "Registration, Benefits, and Resources for Veterans and Servicemembers."
  • Sign up for direct deposit with the Veterans Administration by calling 1-888-442-4551.
  • Sign up for veterans health coverage at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in the Bronx or at the Harlem Community Clinic.

    You have up to 5 years after your separation date to sign up for coverage. While at the Medical Center or Clinic, get your Veterans Affairs ID card.
  • If you need any dental work, you have up to 6 months after your separation date to have it covered by Veterans Affairs.
To Contact Us

Office of Military and Veterans Affairs
202 Kent Hall
MC 9203, 1140 Amsterdam Ave.
New York, NY 10027
Phone: 212-854-3161
Fax: 212-854-2818